Saturday, May 5, 2012

J'aime les sardines dans de jolies boites en conserve...


As it hasn't been very sunshiny these last days, I thought, let's write something about canned Sardines, because they always give me a sunny seaside holiday feeling.  Sardines, I discovered them last year, probably on my holidays in Marseille… or was it my man, who is eating them since a long time, who made me taste them…    Anyhow now I love them! Funny cuz I've always seen some sardine cans in the cupboards at home, but never knew what to do with them, nor how to eat them. Until one day I changed my mind :-)  They are so cute, packed in little colourful cans, besides they are cheap and super healthy because full of fatty acids and vitamins. And of course they taste nice, like a summer soirĂ©e.

Two kinds can be found in the cans : some with bones and some without. I don't eat the bones, but some people say you can… So if you are lazy, pick a can of boneless sardines, otherwise some patience will be required. You'll find plenty of preparations already made for you in a can, so you almost don't need to add anything (I always add a bit of fresh lemon).  A famous brand is the French La Belle-Iloise from Brittany.


Here's a little easy recipe : buy a can of sardines "au naturel" so it means not marinated in oil, less greasy, get rid of the bones, use a fork to mash them up just a little, add a dash of sauer cream, black pepper and some fresh herbs like chives for example. Put them on little toasts, made from baguette and add some fresh lemon zest for decoration. Have a good fresh white wine with that, perfection.


Sardines are also perfect for a pick nick, easy to take with you or even the little recipe above can easily be transported :-)

Good food can be very easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment