Thursday, March 29, 2012

Would you like a cup of tea ?

I always get a bit angry in a good restaurant when they serve you a yellow tea bag priced 5€ when you ask for a tea, grrrr!  How difficult can it be for them to buy some decent teas and infusions? It's the same story when that supposedly good restaurant only sells good wine by the bottle...while serving a louzy  housewine... Do they think people who drink less, have less taste? I wonder… or they just don't bother to find a good housewine that you can choose to have by the glass or by the bottle...

Anyway here are a few of my favorite teas : mostly green, sometimes white, almost never black and lots of infusions, but that's my personal taste ;-)

At home, after dinner I love to prepare some nice herb infusions in my golden cast iron japanese teapot : I usually mix verbena and linden flowers, tastes fresh, soothing and is good for digestion.  I like it just as it is, but you can always add a lick of honey if you'd like.


Teas are a bit like handbags, you never have enough of them ….but luckily they are cheaper. I do try to withhold myself from bying tea every time I pass a nice teashop, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't… Last time I was in Liège, I stumbled accros a shop selling Marriage Frère tea, a famous Parisian brand with lovely boxes and teas.  So I let myself purchase 2 kinds : a loose green tea La Na Thai from Thailand (instead of a genmaichi I originally wanted to buy) and some de-stress green tea with floral notes, ideal before bedtime.  And as I was in Liège, I took the opportunity to check out Benoit Nihant's chocolates….which were recommended to me by a reader of my blog.



La Na Thai (slightly smoked green tea, too bad pictures don't smell)



I wanted to taste those little green ones by the "Comme chez Soi" chef


Instead I went for the classic box, and I must admit they taste pretty good and refined.


Back to tea, another brand I also like is Kusmi. My friend Lisa got me the cute afternoon assortment, 5 little boxes to vary the pleasures.



Oh and you know what, a nice tea or infusion doesn't need to be expensive, I also like the organic range from Delhaize supermarket.



Here are two nice teashops in Brussels : La Septième tasse and  Comptoir Florian.  I think it's time for some tea now; tonight I'll have a white tea with cherry blossoms in one of my favorite mugs.

2 comments:

  1. Fellow tea lover here! I've just moved to Brussels and I i was despairing at the weird taste of tea here to start off with, but it turned out it was just the water. if you filter it, it tastes nice! I got some amazing tea from a place called AM Sweet in St Catherine. Pretty expensive, mind, but lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed :-) thanx for the comment

    ReplyDelete